VTS offers a variety of customized training programs to accommodate different levels of skills and the flexibility of private one-on-one hourly training or group instruction.
- Contact Us for Individual or group rates…
2.5 WEEKS Commercial Driver Training Course (Class 1 OR 3)
- 40 hours classroom
- 25 hours hands on in truck training & Road Test
- 25 hours observation in truck based on minimum 2 students
Classroom Training Includes:
- Orientation: Equipment Familiarization, Pre-Trip Inspection
- Air Brake Adjustment
- Hours of Service (Log Books)
- Defensive Driving
- Air Brakes System
- TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods)
- Tires, Wheels, Suspension & Chains
- Load Securement
- National Safety Code
- Trouble Shooting/Servicing
CLASS 1 & 3 HOURLY TRUCK TRAINING
- Pre-trip inspection, coupling, uncoupling, backing, rural, urban and highway driving will be covered in preparation for the motor vehicle road test.
- Responsible for making arrangements with the motor vehicle for road test (road test costs $56.60).
* We do not guarantee you a license and if extra training is needed, you can purchase extra hours at a cost per hour
CLASS 1 & 3 DRIVER/OPERATOR EVALUATIONS for
*Experienced & New Drivers* (4 Hours)
- Pre-trip inspection, coupling, uncoupling, backing, rural, urban and highway driving will be evaluated.
- A written report will be completed for your records.
- This provides a documented assessment of the driver/operators’ present ability and whether future training is required.
- This can be a valuable “Risk Management” tool in our liability driven society.
- Evaluations can provide an independent assessment of an individual’s ability for new hires or in house job competitions.
- Evaluations are also provided to companies seeking a skills assessment of an employee as part of a post-accident investigation to verify whether the individuals’ ability is at an acceptable level or identify that further training may be required.
Requirements for upgrading your license to a Class 1, 3 & 4:
- Must have valid Class 5 License
- Must pass a Medical Fitness Report (https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/snb7001/e/1000/CSS-FOL-78-9282E.pdf)
- Must pass 4 written knowledge exams & an Air Brake Practical at the Motor Vehicle
*NOTE: Out of province students may have to meet additional requirements.
Steps for obtaining a Learners Permit for Class 1 & 3 (Beginners license):
1. The trainee must have a Class 1 & 3 Medical Fitness Report completed by a doctor. Fee for medical is the responsibility of the applicant. Schedule an appointment with a family doctor or after hours clinic. Cost varies. NB Forms can be picked up at your local motor vehicle branch or viewed online at: https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/snb7001/e/1000/CSS-FOL-78-9282E.pdf
* Out of Province trainees will require their own provinces medical form completed.
2. The trainee is encouraged to study the entire Drivers Handbook and Air Brake Manual prior to completing the written tests at the motor vehicle.
NB Driver’s Handbooks can be purchased at the motor vehicle ($5.00 plus GST) or viewed online at: http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/public_safety/drivers_vehicles/content/new_brunswick_drivers_handbook.html
Air Brake manual can be purchased at the motor vehicle ($10.00 plus GST) or viewed online at: http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/ps-sp/pdf/Publications/ab_manual-e.pdf
3. Nova Scotia has a free tool they have created to prepare candidates for the Nova Scotia driving written knowledge test. You can take a look at the on-line multiple choice questions here.
4. Once the Medical Fitness Report is completed and you have studied your Driver’s Handbook and Air Brake Manual thoroughly, you can then schedule an appointment with the Driver Examiner to complete your written tests for your learners permit. Appointments can be made by telephone through Service New Brunswick’s Teleservices at 1-888-762-8600. Testing is available in both official languages. The cost of the written tests is $25.00 plus HST payable at time of written tests. If you happen to fail the first attempt, you can rewrite at a cost of $15.00 plus HST and you only have to write the tests that you fail.
The Driver Examiner will check over your Medical Fitness Report, Test your Eyes and deliver the following tests.
There are 4 written knowledge tests:
1. Rules of the Road
2. Road Signs
3. Commercial (Lengths, widths, requirements for commercial vehicles – found throughout the Driver’s Handbook)
4. Air Brakes (There is also a practical test for air brakes)
* Preparation for your Learners Permit (beginners for Class 1 or 3) is available upon request at an additional cost.
Once you have completed your Learners Permit for Class 1 or 3, you can call us with your License Number and Date of Birth at (506)433-5832 and we will book your road test and schedule your hourly training.
You will be required to purchase your Road Test prior to Road Test day at the motor vehicle at a cost of $50.00 plus HST.